Skip to content

8 Things you don’t know about Labor Day

Labor Day is much more than an end of summer picnic or barbecue and became a holiday back in 1894.

The federal holiday is celebrated on the very first Monday every September and although most people recognize the day as a time for football, beer and barbecues, there is much more to consider.

Labor Day Didn’t Start in the United States

The All-American holiday started in Canada about a decade before it began in the United States. Americans saw how great Canadian workers were doing and wanted in as well.

Americans truly know how to party over the last official weekend of summer. However the folks in Puerto Rico go one-step further with giant piñatas.  In addition there is a town barbecue, and fiesta.

Although wearing white after Labor Day was a custom that people used to be serious about, it is no longer the case with people thumbing their nose at the idea.

55 percent of American households will have a barbecue on Labor Day, and the other 45 percent? Well, they will be attending those barbecues.

Labor Day is Popular

This holiday is the third most popular when it comes to beef consumption with the Fourth of July coming in first followed by Memorial Day.

35 million people in America will travel at least 50 miles for the long  weekend. That is equivalent to almost 2 billion miles, 80,000 times around the globe or 28 billion football fields.

Although Black Friday and Cyber Monday are considered to be the best shopping days of the year, Labor Day is a little bit better with average discounts being 48.4 percent.

Remember and Share

This long weekend take a moment and remember that Labor Day is a celebration of those in the labor movement. Remind your family and friends that this holiday is dedicated to American workers and their economic and social achievements.

Happy Labor Day from Bluestone Apps!

Share This Post


Tell Us About Your Project

  • Hidden
  • Hidden

8 Things about Labor, Day

8 Things about Labor Day Mobile App Developers Posts

Bluestone Apps